The Academy, previously known as the Police Training College, was renamed as Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Police Academy, Uttar Pradesh, Moradabad on 6th April 1997 after the name of the Bharat Ratna recipient Baba Saheb Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar, who is known as the architect of the Indian Constitution.
District Moradabad is considered to be a part of Rohilkhand Region. It is situated on the right bank of the River Ram Ganga. It is believed to be a part of Pauranic Panchal Desh, which finds a mention in Mahabharat. The City is named after Prince Murad, the son of Mughal Emperor Shahjehan. It was established by Rustam Khan, a Subedar of the Mughal emperor in 1624.
Moradabad, known as the Brass City, occupies an important place on the national and international map not only for its artistic brass artifacts but also due to the oldest and prestigious Police Training College (presently known as Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Police Academy Uttar Pradesh, Moradabad). It came into existence in 1901. It was initially established in Damdama Kothi, belonging to the erstwhile state of Tehri Garhwal. Initially designed to provide training to probationary Gazetted Officers recruited in England and in India and to Civil Police Sub- Inspector Cadets.
The Police Training College was earlier known as Police Training School (PTS), established in Allahabad in 1878 under an Assistant Superintendent of Police. It was shifted to Moradabad in 1901. An officer of the level of Superintendent of Police was posted to head the institution with an Inspector as the head master. Based on the recommendations of Police Commission 1902, training of officers of the Imperial Police (I.P.) and SICP cadets also started here. From 1906, when the post of Deputy Superintendent of Police was created, training of directly recruited Dy. S.Ps began. In 1934 the PTS was upgraded to the level of a Police Training College (PTC). Soon it came to be known as a training institute of excellence and cadets from princely states like Hyderabad, Nepal, Kota etc. were also trained here. During the period 1934 to 1959, the PTC was headed by an officer of the level of Superintendent of Police. From 1959 to 1984, it was headed by an officer of the level of a Deputy Inspector General. In the year 1984, the post of Principal was upgraded to that of Inspector General of Police. In the year 1995 the post of Principal of the PTC was again upgraded to the rank of the Addl. Director General of Police. The Police Training College was upgraded to the level of a Police Academy and was rechristened as Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Police Academy, Uttar Pradesh, Moradabad in 1997. It continued to be headed by a Principal of the rank of Addl. Director General of Police. The Designation of the head of the academy was changed from Principal to Director with the appointment of Sri C.B.Satpathy, a Director General of Police rank officer w.e.f. 19-Sep, 2006. Now Shri Nasir Kamal, IPS is Director / Addl. D.G. of the Academy w.e.f. January 2014.
The motto of the academy, as mentioned in it's logo “DHARMAM CHAR” (धर्मम् चर) is an extract from the Brihdaryanak Upanishad. The suggestion for its adoption was given by Late Dr. Amar Nath Jha, M.A., D. Litt, L.L.B. FRSI, Chairman, Public Service Commission, Uttar Pradesh.